Skip to navigation
Skip to main content

Land Division

Land Division Instructions and Application

The application shall be submitted to the city assessor accompanied by a processing fee that is determined by the city council.  The city assessor will approve or deny the application within forty-five (45) days.  Notice of the decision will be mailed to the applicant.

If the application is approved, the city assessor shall process the division through Oakland County Property Description.  Oakland County Property Description will create tax descriptions and parcel numbers for the new parcels.  The descriptions and numbers will be in effect for the next tax billing period.  

If the application is denied, the date of denial will be noted on page four of the application.  The city assessor will promptly return the application to the applicant along with a letter stating all reasons for denial.  An aggrieved applicant may appeal the assessor's determination by appearing before the city council or zoning board of Appeals.  This appeal is initiated by contacting the city clerk within twenty (20) days of the assessor's denial and requesting placement on the next available agenda.  The LAND DIVISION APPLICATION ALSO SERVES AS THE APPEAL FORM.   The application, along with items A. through C. on page three of the application are filed with the city clerk.  The application is reviewed by all of the departments on the routing schedule for concerns and comments.  The application is then presented to city council or zoning board of Appeals for review and consideration.

Note: Michigan State Tax Commission forms L-4260 and L-4260a are available at the City of Novi Assessing Department.  Michigan Department of Treasury forms 2368 (Homestead Exemption Affidavit, formerly Form T-1056 ), 2602 (Request to Rescind/Withdraw Homestead Exemption, formerly Form T-1067)  are also available at the City of Novi Assessing Department.  In addition, some of these forms can be printed from the Resources section of our website.  Click here to go to the Forms and Permits page.