Absent Voter Ballot Information
Requesting an Absent Voter Ballot
You must be a registered voter to receive an absent voter ballot. Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and submitted to your City Clerk. Requests to have an absent voter ballot mailed to you must be received by your clerk no later than 5 p.m. the Friday before the election.
Ways to apply for a ballot:
- Apply online through the Michigan Voter Information Center
- Use the link to the right to download an Absent Voter Ballot Application. Once signed, this form can be submitted in person, via mail, or email
- To request an application by mail, contact the City Clerk's office at 248-347-0456.
- Visit us on the 2nd floor of the Civic Center to apply in person
You can deliver signed applications by one of the following methods:
- Place in a secure City of Novi drop box (see below), or
- Scan or take a photo of the signed application and email it to the Elections email account, or
- Mail the application after affixing the necessary postage, or
- Fax the completed application to 248-347-0577, or
- Any member of the immediate family of the voter may mail or deliver the application to the office of the City Clerk, or
- In the event an applicant cannot return the application in any of the above methods, the applicant may select any registered elector to return the application. The person returning the application must sign and return a Certificate of Authorized Registered Elector Returning Absentee Ballot Application on the back of the Absentee ballot application.
Once your request is received by the City Clerk, your signature on the application will be checked against your voter registration signature before a ballot is issued. If your signature is not a good likeness to the version on your voter registration, a member of the City Clerk’s office will attempt to contact you via phone, email, and/or letter. Only the requestor may sign the application. Election law does not allow for anyone other than the registered voter to sign.
If an emergency, such as a sudden illness or family death prevents you from reaching the polls on Election Day, you may request an emergency absent voter ballot. Requests for an emergency ballot must be submitted after the deadline for regular absent voter ballots has passed but before 4:00pm on Election Day. The emergency must have occurred at a time which made it impossible for you to apply for a regular absent voter ballot. Please contact your City Clerk for more information about emergency absent voter ballots.
Returning an Absent Voter Ballot
After receiving your absent voter ballot, you have until 8:00pm on Election Day to complete the ballot and return it to the Clerk's Office. Voters are strongly encouraged to submit their voted ballot as soon as it’s completed. Your ballot will not be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and is a good likeness to the signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope. Only you, a family member or person residing in your household, a mail carrier, or election official is authorized to deliver signed absent voter ballots to the City Clerk's office.
You can deliver your completed and signed ballots by one of the following methods:
- Place in a City of Novi drop box (see below), or
- Mail the ballot - no postage required, or
- Any member of the immediate family of the voter may mail or deliver the ballot to the City Clerk’s office.
While we understand people would like to assist their friends and neighbors in this process, it is illegal to offer to return, agree to return, or solicit to return an absent voter ballot to the City Clerk. It is a violation of Michigan election law for any person other than the voter, a member of their immediate family, or a person whose job it is to handle mail to be in possession of a voted or unvoted ballot.
Utilize one of our drop boxes!
|This indoor drop box is located in the atrium and is visible when you enter the Civic Center.
||This outside drop box is in the parking lot behind the Civic Center building in the northeast corner (near the police station). Please follow the signs.
|This indoor drop box is affixed to the front counter in the Civic Center.
||This outside drop box is on the pathway as you approach the entrance of the Civic Center.