The Novi Fire Department provides free child car seat safety checks and installations, seven days a week by appointment only.
They also hold free safety checks on the following Saturdays, Station #4 from 9am-noon, no appointment necessary.
February 17, 2018
March 17, 2018
April 21, 2018
May 19, 2018
June 16, 2018
July 21, 2018
August 18, 2018
September 15, 2018
October 13, 2018
November 17, 2018
December 15, 2018
Michigan Law requires:
- Children from birth until age 8 be properly restrained in a child safety seat or booster seat in the vehicle, unless they’re over 4'9" tall.
- Children who are eight years old but less than sixteen years old must use a safety belt no matter where they are riding in the vehicle.
The Novi Fire Department has four certified and licensed Child Passenger Safety Technicians on staff ready to provide the most updated information and a free check of your child seat and, if necessary, perform a complete child seat installation. All technicians were recently certified through the State of Michigan Department of Community Health and the National Child Passenger Safety Board (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) after completing an intensive, 40-hour course.
The Novi Fire Department team will share:
- The steps of restraint as the child grows:
o Rear- to forward-facing car seat
o Forward-facing harnessed seat to a booster seat
o Booster to an adult safety belt
- The benefits of riding properly restrained, including all adults.
- Safety in and around the vehicle (never leaving children unattended, walking around the vehicle before moving, etc.)
- State laws and best practice recommendations for occupant safety
Community members are asked to bring the following items to the inspection:
- Vehicles owner’s manual;
- Car Seat owner’s manual;
- And, if possible, the child who will be “properly secured” in safety seat.
Please allow 25 minutes for the installation and the safety check process.
Please contact the Novi Fire Department at 248-349-2162 or click here to schedule an appointment.