The City Clerk’s Office will be open on Saturday, November 5, 2016 from 8am to 2pm for the purpose of obtaining an absentee ballot. The deadline for the City Clerk’s Office to receive applications for ballots to be mailed is 2:00pm Saturday, November 5, 2016. Persons qualified to vote by absentee ballot may obtain a ballot in person at the City Clerk’s Office until 4:00pm Monday, November 7, 2016 and must vote that ballot in the City Clerk’s Office. You may verify your voter registration, sample ballot and polling location at www.michigan.gov/vote.
Absent Voter's Ballot Application - will be posted here when available in September 2017
Photo ID Requirement
Residents who wish to obtain an absentee ballot in person, please see photo ID requirement below:
As a result of legislation enacted in 2012 (PA 523 of 2012), voters who obtain an absent voter ballot in person are also required to comply with the picture identification requirement. If a voter is not in possession of picture ID, they may sign the same Affidavit of Voter not in Possession of Picture Identification form that is used in the polls on Election Day. AV ballots from voters that obtain a ballot in person and do not provide picture identification and sign the affidavit form must be processed as a challenged ballot on Election Day.
Use the link to the right to download an Absent Voter Ballot Application. Or contact the City Clerk's office for an application at 248-347-0456 or email Cortney Hanson. After completely filling out an absent voter ballot application, only the requestor may sign the application. Election law does not allow for anyone other than the registered voter to sign. Your signature must appear on the application or you will not receive an absent voter ballot.
Use of a Signature Stamp - Public Act 79 of 2014 amends the Michigan Election Law to permit a physically disabled voter who is unable to sign his or her name due to the physical disability to use a signature stamp on a voter registration application or an election document. Current law only permits the voter to make his or her mark on the aforementioned documents. The new Act further defines that an election document includes, but is not limited to, all of the following: a voter application; an absent voter ballot application; an emergency absent voter ballot application; and an absent voter ballot return envelope.
Deliver the application by one of the following methods:
- Print, sign and place in City of Novi drop box for water and tax bills or
- Place in blue box inside the Atrium of the Civic Center, or
- Scan and email to the Elections email ID or
- Fax the completed application to 248-347-0577 or
- Fold and mail the application after affixing the necessary postage
- Any member of the immediate family of the voter may mail or deliver the application to the office of the City Clerk.
- In the event an applicant cannot return the application in any of the above methods, the applicant may select any registered elector to return the application. The person returning the application must sign and return a Certificate of Authorized Registered Elector Returning Absentee Ballot Application on the back of the Absentee ballot application.