2011 Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy Graduates
What is the Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy? The Novi Police and Fire Departments pride themselves on developing and maintaining strong partnerships with the community, including Novi’s youth.
The Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy was created to provide area teens with an inside look at local law enforcement and fire prevention.
During a one-week, four hour a day course, Novi’s Public Safety staff will educate attendees on a variety of subjects pertaining to law enforcement and fire safety and prevention. Each Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy graduate will gain a deeper knowledge of how the Public Safety fits into the Novi Community.
The purpose of the Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy is to:
- Increase understanding through education and interaction with the Police and Fire Departments.
- Provide positive interaction with Department staff and to educate youth about the challenges and responsibility of law enforcement and fire prevention.
- Create and develop responsible, well-informed youth citizens.
- Build lasting and productive partnerships between Novi Public Safety and the community members we serve.
This class is made up a cross section of youth who have a connection with the Novi community. Participants must be:
- Between 13 to 18 years of age
- A Novi resident or attend school in Novi
The Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy consists of classroom instruction, as well as hands-on, practical application. Students will be taught by police officers from the Investigative and Uniform Patrol Division and fire fighters. Topics of instruction include:
- Patrol operations
- Use of force
- Traffic laws
- Traffic stops
- Judicial system
- Crime scene investigation
- Law enforcement requirements
- F.A.T.S.– Firearm Training System
- Fire Department operations
- Fire station and training tower tour
- Home fire/emergency safety
- Jaws of Life
- Fire apparatus